Boating. What documents are needed?


Are you thinking of enjoying your trip on board your own or a rented boat? In Spain, you can sail on board a catamaran, in a yacht or in a motorboat... Here's some basic advice that will help you know whether you need a sailing license and if there are any other requirements.

  • You do not need a specific boating license to pilot a recreational boat in Spain, provided that the maximum length of the boat is 5 metres, maximum power of 11.26 kilowatts and also provided that you navigate no more than 2 miles from the coast. This regulation also applies to sailing boats with a length of up to 6 metres. In all cases, you must be at least 18 years of age. To pilot larger boats or jet skis, you will need a suitable boating license.

    Anyone piloting their own boat must be covered by mandatory insurance and carry the documents to show proof of registration and ownership upon request. It is essential to comply with these regulations to ensure a safe and enjoyable sailing experience.

    If you are renting a boat and your boating certificate was not issued in Spain, you will need a permit from the competent Harbour Master certifying that the foreign certificate is valid for that boat. This procedure normally takes place through the rental company.