Basque Costumbrism and Spanish art in the 18th and 19th centuries
Set in the Conde de Dávila house-hotel, built in 1912 by architects Luque and Apraiz. Its style is inspired in Renaissance palaces.
It was created in 1941 as a general museum of fine art, arms and archaeology. With time, these last two specialities gained more importance in terms of research and museum content, and ended up becoming independent fields, moving to other venues. The Álava Museum of Fine Art is dedicated to 18th and 19th-century Spanish art, and to Basque Costumbrism 1850-1950, with pieces belonging to the Provincial Government of Álava itself and from different deposits at the Prado Museum and the Fernando de Amárica Foundation. The mainstay of the collection are portraits and landscapes, with works by artists such as Vicente López, Joaquín Sorolla, Carlos de Haes, Ignacio Zuloaga and Gustavo de Maeztu. There are also bronze sculptures by artists like Benlliure, Julio Antonio and José Clará.
María Inmaculada Cathedral (New Cathedral)
This neo-Gothic building was inaugurated in 1969, and stands on…
“Los Arquillos” and Plaza del Machete Square
The construction was designed to connect the Medieval part of the…
Álava Archeological Museum
The museum is distributed over three floors, with items from the…