An exceptional architectural site, made up of the church and cloister, which harmoniously combines various traditions and different artistic styles.
The former church was a Romanesque building from the 12th century, of which there are only a few remains. The major construction effort was in the 14th century, when a new church was built in Gothic-Mudejar style. It was also strengthened with ramparts, which gave it a typical appearance of a church-fortress. The cloister dates to the next century. It is also in Mudejar style, and was constructed when the church was raised to the status of collegiate. A new sanctuary and vaults were also constructed at this time; the walls were renewed in the nave and the tower was enlarged (15th/16th centuries). Finally, at the start of the 19th century the interior was reformed after a major fire in 1775 and the church took on its present Baroque-Classical appearance.
Former Collegiate Church of Santa María
Plaza de Nuestra Señora de la Peana, s/n.
50540 Borja, Zaragoza (Aragón)