This is a gateway in the defensive wall dating from the late Middle Ages. It was built by the master stonemason Pere Balaguer in the 14th century to defend one of the busiest points of access to old Valencia. It comprises two pentagonal structures on either side of the gateway, which is formed by a semi-circular voussoir arch. The interior façade has large, arched openings, designed as galleries. In the 16th century it was converted into prisons for noblemen and knights, and continued in use until 1887.