It is a clear example of what is called the Jesuit or 'preaching' Baroque.
Its origins are in a small church which was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century by the Jesuit order, with money which had been left to them by the sister of Felipe II, Doña María, Empress of Austria. The plans were by Pedro Sánchez, later modified by Francisco Bautista. It has a Latin cross plan and a dome supported by a tambour with eight windows, covered with slate and lead. In 1936 it was completely destroyed by fire.
San Isidro Royal Collegiate, Madrid
Calle Toledo, 37
28005 Madrid (Madrid Region)
El Rastro street market
This is the most popular open air market in Madrid and one of the…
San Isidro Chapel in San Andrés Church
The chapel is the only thing that remains of the church of San…
Casa de la Villa City Hall and Casa de Cisneros House
In the heart of “Madrid de los Austrias” (Madrid of the…
Regional Government of Madrid (Old Post Office Building)
This impressive 18th century building (constructed between 1766…