The convent was the first foundation of St Teresa, built in 1562 with the support of important figures such as Bishop Álvaro de Mendoza. The church was built in the early 17th century by Francisco de Mora and became the architectural model for all Carmelite churches. It has a single nave with a sail vault and a dome over the crossing. Inside, there is a notable chapel of the Guillamas family, depicted at prayer on their tombs. The convent also houses the Teresian Museum of the Discalced Carmelites. It was declared a National Monument in 1968.