The Prince’s Garden is the sole example of the "landscape style" in a royal Spanish garden. It was built by the Prince of Asturias, the future Charles IV over the period between 1772 and 1804. The signature on the first plan of the garden belongs to Pablo de Boutelou, although it is not known to what extent Juan de Villanueva participated in its design, as he was responsible for the architectural features. It has a relatively formal layout, with walkways arranged in an orthogonal pattern, enclosing various characteristic elements of the landscape designer’s repertoire: a pool with a Chinese pavilion, an artificial mound topped by a shrine, a mock tomb in the lake, a grotto, imitation ruins, etc.
Plaza de Parejas s/n
28300 Aranjuez, Madrid (Madrid Region)