This is an example of 16th-century Classicist architecture. The building was designed by the architects Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón and Juan del Ribero Rada. On the exterior it is an elongated building with two façades with stone blocks and few window openings. The main façade has a frieze decorated with triglyphs and the coat of arms of Fernando Valdés, supported on Tuscan columns. The interior layout features a square porticoed courtyard, with a Tuscan-style elevation and an Ionic floor, structured on two levels. The Clock Tower, the work of Luis Céspedes in 1859, stands on one of the corners of the building. Since the creation of the various different university campus, this university building now houses only the Rector’s office and the central library.
Palace of the Marquis de Santa Cruz del Marcenado or de la Rúa
Commissioned by Alonso González de la Rúa, treasurer of the…