San Juan Monastery


Founded by San Fructuoso in the 7th century, during the Middle Ages it accumulated feudal power over this part of the Pontevedra Ría. The Benedictine monks abandoned the monastery in 1835, because of the Sale of Church Lands Act, and in 1890 the Order of La Merced established itself. The cloister is from the 16th century, the work of the architect Ruíz de Pamames and Master Mateo López. The church is Renaissance style, with Baroque elements in the choir balustrades.

San Juan Monastery

Plaza del Convento, 2

36995  Poio de Arriba, Poio, Pontevedra  (Galicia) Tel.:+34 986770244 Tel.:+34 986778015 Tel.:+34 986770000