This is a model example of the type of religious constructions built by the mendicant orders –in this case the Franciscan friars– in cities and towns in Galicia.
Founded in 1330, the present structure was started in the 15th century and concluded in 1524. Its church is Gothic in style with a nave in three sections (remodelled in the neoclassical style in the 18th century), a floor plan with a pronounced transept and a triple apse with sturdy buttresses on the exterior. It has groin and cross vaults. The main façade is neoclassical and has a tower-bell tower, while the doorway on the southern arm of the transept is Gothic with pointed archivolts. The cloister has been rebuilt in modern times. Highlights among the carvings include the Romanesque-style modillions (ends of the beams) which support the cornice, as well as the bas-reliefs on the Gothic doorway, featuring a depiction of the epiphany on the tympanum.