The building is attached to Barcelona Cathedral and holds the Diocesan Museum
It has two different areas: one Gothic and the other Renaissance. It houses the Diocesan Museum.
The first mention of Casa de la Pía Almoina is in 955AD, when it was built as a residence for canons of the Order of St. Augustine. It was demolished in 1400 and rebuilt a few years later as a charitable foundation on the same site. It has two sections: the Gothic one was built around 1435, and the Renaissance one was added in 1546. It currently holds the Diocesan Museum with interesting Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque items belonging to the church. It was last redesigned in 1989.