The monastery already existed in the 10th century, but this impressive building began to be constructed in 1142, with monks from Claraval. The chapel of the Magdalena and the chapter house remain from this Romanesque building. In the 15th century it was incorporated into the Congregation of Castile and its refurbishment began. The monks abandoned the monastery in the 19th century after the sale of church lands. The building was bought by a private owner, but in 1955 a new Benedictine community was formed.