The Royal Theatre is located in Plaza de Oriente Square, and is one of the top opera houses in Europe due to its modern facilities and unrivalled acoustics. The building was started by Ferdinand VII in 1817 on the site of an old theatre, and work was completed in 1850 under Custodio Moreno. The building has an irregular hexagonal floor plan. It underwent a period of great splendour until it was closed in the early 20th century due to its poor state of repair. It was then restored and re-opened in 1966 as a concert hall, until it underwent further refurbishments before finally opening again in 1997. The venue seats 1,745 people. Inside, highlights include the foyer, stage and the huge central chandelier that hangs above the stalls.