This well-conserved medieval castle is Arab in origin and later belonged to the Order of the Knights Templar. It stands like a colossal sentinel beside the Ebro river.
The impregnable fortress of Miravet, which after its conquest in 1153 became the property of the Order of the Knights Templar, comprises a double fortified enclosure separated by an internal corridor between two walls. The outer perimeter is about 600 m long and the inner is 290 m. The inner enclosure has a bailey and sentry post surrounded by various rooms and buildings (bedroom, stables, refectory, storerooms, granary and wine cellar). Highlights include the hall, which is reached through a door with a horseshoe arch; and the church, dedicated to Sant Martí, which is in the Romanesque style (13th century) and has a single nave covered with a slightly pointed barrel vault and a semicircular apse with a calotte vault. The outer enclosure has stables, a cistern and the chapel of Sant Miquel.
Carrer del Castell, s/n
43747 Miravet, Tarragona (Catalonia)