Car on a mountain road

If you’re travelling to Spain by car or motorbike, you should know…


If you are taking your car, you must find out if your driving licence is valid to drive in Spain, whether you must exchange it or if you need to obtain the International Permit. Permits issued in countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are fully valid to drive in Spain as long as they are in force. If you come from any other country, it is advisable that you get the international permit in your country before you travel. This permit is valid for one year and is complementary. So, whenever you are going to use it, you must also present your passport and your foreign driving license. More information on other valid permits to drive in Spain.

Main roads into SpainYou can reach Spain by road from France and Portugal. The main roads from France are the AP-8 toll motorway (towards Donostia - San Sebastián, a good option if you are going to Madrid or other inland destinations) and the A-9 motorway (for Barcelona or the Mediterranean coast).From Portugal, the four main access motorways are the A-5 (running directly to Madrid), the A-2 (going south to cities such as Seville), the A-62 (to the north and destinations like Bilbao) and the A-55 (mainly for Galicia). 

Man in car with camera

Practical advice for driving in SpainWe recommend consulting the following practical information if you are driving to Spain or thinking of hiring a vehicle while on holiday. Here you will be able to find answers to the following queries:The main regulations for driving in SpainWhat driving licences are valid in Spain?Which roads have tolls?What to do if you get fined?How to hire a car in Spain

Spanish motorway
Find out more about...