A street in the centre of Calaceite (Teruel, Aragon)



A museum has been established in Calaceite with the aim of commemorating and spreading the name of Don Joan Cabré (1882-1947), an illustrious archaeologist.

Calaceite is situated on the western side of a hill, between the Matarraña and Alga valleys. It is a delighful town with aesthetic attractions: the parish church of La Asunción (17th- 18th centuries) a baroque work with three naves and a monumental façade; the City Hall, which is Renaissance; the chapel of San Antonio (17th century), situated on the street of the same name; the hermitages of San Roque (17th-19th centuries) and La Virgen del Pilar (18th century). There is also a Gothic terminal cross (13th- 14th centuries) with an octagonal pillar and a simple base, which was rebuilt in the 15th century. Calaceite also preserves numerous buildings from the 18th century. In the Calaceite district is the Iberian archaeological site of San Antonio, where pieces from the 5th century BC have been found.