History behind walls
The monastery consists of two buildings, the New Monastery, dating from the 17th century, in the Baroque style, and the Old Monastery, from the 10th century, in the Romanesque style.
It has its origins in a hermitage church built where the monastery was constructed in the 10th century, with what is known as the Mozarab style Lower Church being built first, and consecrated in 920. Sancho el Mayor of Navarre founded a new centre in the year 1025. A new Romanesque style church was built. In the 15th century the chapel of San Victorián was built and, in the 17th century, following a fire, the monastery had to be rebuilt, this time adopting the Baroque style. However, the most important is the marvellous Romanesque Cloister that attracts the visitors.