This monastery belongs to the Cistercian order and was founded by the knight Ero de Armenteira in 1168. It has a square cloister, a kitchen, and a tower, all in the 18th-century Baroque style. The monastery was abandoned after the sale of church lands in 1835. The church has a floor plan in the shape of a Latin cross, three naves and three semicircular apses. The central nave is crowned with a pointed barrel vault, and the side naves with groin vaults. The transept has a vault raised on Mudéjar-style pedentives. On the façade, the 12th-century rose window is of particular interest. The whole complex has today been rebuilt thanks to the Association of Friends of the Monastery of Armenteira.
Monastery of Santa María in Armenteira
Lugar de la Iglesia, s/n.
36192 Armenteira (Santa María P.), Meis, Pontevedra (Galicia)