An impressive labyrinth of stalactites
Designated World Heritage in 2008
This is the longest cave in the Monte del Castillo area. Its name comes from a cache of coins ("monedas") from the time of the Catholic Monarchs that was discovered inside the cave, one dating from 1563. It runs for 800 metres, although only 160 metres can be visited, and the route provides a wonderful spectacle of stalactites, stalagmites, columns and coloured karst formations. The images are concentrated in a small side hall and comprise groups of different symbols as well as 17 animal figures (horses, reindeer, goats, bison and a bear), dating from around 10,000 BC.