This attractive building in Cordoba was built by order of Philip II in 1570 on part of the site of the city's Alcázar fortress. In fact it shares a distinct military character with the royal fortification.
With these facilities the King intended to further his project to create purebred Spanish horses. This was the place where the Spanish –or Andalusian– horse was first bred from Arab stock. The main section, with a roof in the form of a cross vault supported on sandstone columns, is divided into small stables or boxes. The Royal Stables are today the site of a permanent equestrian display designed for the entertainment of the whole family.