Church dedicated to the Buen Pastor (Good Shepherd)
This church is the city’s largest, built in neo-Gothic style.
It is located on Ensanche de Amara, and is the work of Basque architect Manuel de Echave. The church covers an area of 1,915 square metres and was inaugurated in 1897. It was designated cathedral in 1953. It has a symmetrical, rectangular floor plan, in Latin cross formation with three naves, transept and presbytery. It is built in sandstone from the Monte Igueldo quarries and has a wealth of decorative elements such as stained glass windows (by Juan Bautista Lázaro), gargoyles, pinnacles, etc. Inside there is a very spacious crypt, while outside, its tower measures 75 metres in height, built by Ramón Cortázar. The high altar is dedicated to the Buen Pastor. It is home to statues of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, San Antonio, Santa Teresa and the Sagrado Corazón.
“Peine del Viento” sculpture
This is one of the best-known works by the sculptor Eduardo…
Victoria Eugenia Theatre
The Victoria Eugenia Theatre opened in 1912 and was designed by…
Basilica of Santa María del Coro
Located on the southern flank of Monte Urgull, in the heart of…
San Telmo Municipal Museum
A multi-disciplinary centre set in an old 16th century convent.
Untzi Museoa – Naval Museum
This museum is located in the tower-castle of El Consulado, an…