Church in an old Benedictine monastery, of particular interest for its altarpieces and the unusual presence of late Gothic mural paintings.
The elements remaining from the original transitional Romanesque building (12th-13th centuries) include the nave with the pointed barrel vault, the doorway with three archivolts, also slightly pointed (with interesting carved motifs) and the large triangular belfry on the western wall. Subsequent periods saw the addition of a Gothic chapel with a cross vault (14th century), the replacement of the apse with a polygonal one (15th century), and the building of the sacristy (16th century) and the Neoclassical portico (18th century). It is built almost entirely in reddish sandstone. Inside there are five altarpieces – three Renaissance (c. 1560) and two Rococo (late 18th century)– as well as popular late Gothic mural paintings (late 15th century). They were discovered in 1969 and restored recently, and are thought to be the work of the craftsman known as the Master of San Felices.
Church of San Cornelio and San Cipriano in San Cebrián de Mudá
Camino de la iglesia de San Cornelio y San Cipriano, s/n.
34839 San Cebrián de Mudá, Palencia (Castilla y Leon)