The Indies Archive which used to be the Mercaderes Market, was built in 1572. Designed by Juan de Herrera and built by Alonso de Vandelviva and Juan de Minjares. During the 17th century the second floor and the cross of the Oath were constructed. A century later Carlos (Charles) III chose the building as the site for the Indies Archive. There were consequent modifications made to the building including the rebuilding of the main staircase. A building with a square floor plan with a large central patio. Inside valuable documents are kept that recreate history of the relationship of Spain with the overseas American colonies.
Avenida de la Constitución, 3
41071 Sevilla, Seville (Andalusia)
Patio de los Naranjos (orange tree courtyard) of the Holy Metropolitan and Patriarchal Cathedral of Seville
This garden is a small oasis of peace within the city, ideal for…
El Divino Salvador Church-College
The passage of different cultures and peoples through Seville can…
Gardens of the Real Alcázar Palace in Seville
The gardens of the Real Alcázar Palace make up one of the great…
Andalusia Contemporary Art Centre
The museum is located in the Cartuja de Santa María de las Cuevas…
Real Maestranza Bullring and Museum
Built in 1761, it is today a landmark in Spanish bullfighting.