It is in the Baroque style, and dates from the Muslim period. It stands on the site of a mosque, which after the reconquest was converted into a church. The new building was begun in 1736 under the direction of the architect Fray Antonio de San José. The church has a floor plan in the shape of a Latin cross, with side chapels and two doors. The main façade is a treasure of Baroque art, thanks to the diagonal arrangement of its pilasters and the arching of the cornice and the mouldings. The two doors are decorated with capitals and wreaths, and crowned by two medallions representing the Apotheosis of San Nicolás and the Saint in a mystic trance, both attributed to Francisco Salzillo. Highlights include the octagonal vault, the tower with the square floor plan, and the stucco decoration on the interior, typical of the Baroque style. It houses the religious image of the Santísimo Cristo del Amparo y la Dolorosa, attributed to Salzillo.