San Francisco el Grande Church, a Classicist building from the 18th century, was built on an old convent which legend has was founded by San Francisco de Assisi in the 13th century. This new church was built by King Charles III of Spain; it was originally designed by Francisco Cabezas in 1761 and completed by Francisco Sabatini and Miguel Fernández in 1784. It has a sober, vertical façade and the most notable feature of the building’s exterior is its huge dome, 33 metres in diameter. Inside there are decorative paintings by major artists such as Francisco de Goya, as well as an important art gallery in the cloister. Next to the church is the Baroque chapel of Cristo de los Dolores de la Venerable Orden Tercera.
San Francisco el Grande Basilica
San Buenaventura, 1
28005 Madrid (Madrid Region)