The Bishops’ Palace in Astorga was designed by Antoni Gaudí, the greatest exponent of Catalan Art Nouveau.
More Gothic Revival than Art Nouveau, it consists of a castle, a church and a mansion, with an impressive white granite exterior. It now houses the Museum of St James’ Way. Although designed by Gaudí himself in 1887, the building was completed by the architect Ricardo García Gureta. It seems clear that Gaudí intended the design of the building to reflect the history of the city, and applied his personal version of Gothic Revival in the exterior of the palace.