Church of San Luis de los Franceses
The Church of San Luis de los Franceses, founded by the Society of Jesus in 1731 and dedicated to Saint Louis King of France (first cousin of Ferdinand III), all in the building of Leonardo de Figueroa is subject to awakening the capacity of amazement of who enters the temple for the first time: pure baroque artifice that suspended reason to dull the senses with an overwhelming artistic panoply that moved the faithful. In particular, the Jesuit postulants who completed their novitiate in Seville.After the definitive expulsion of the Jesuits in 1835, it was a seminary, a Franciscan convent, a venerable hospital, a factory in the 19th century, a hospice and at the beginning of the 20th century, now desacralized, a stage for performances like Don Juan Tenorio.After the restoration carried out in recent decades, it is open to the public for the enjoyment of all Sevillians, as well as the people who visit our city. The areas that have been opened to the public are the Church, the Domestic Chapel and the Crypt.The Church with its main altarpiece dedicated to Saint Louis the King of France, its auxiliary altarpieces, its salomonic columns, its impressive dome and vault, draws attention for its circular shape in the shape of a Greek cross.The Domestic Chapel, is the most unknown, and the one that has most taken the effort of restoration, leaving a striking image in its entirety: ceilings, vault, walls, sacristy, etc.Finally, under the main temple, we find a simple crypt of dimensions and plant identical to that of the church. Restored and with a very special lighting, it also amazes all visitors.