The name of La Peña de Francia (and of the image worshipped) probably makes reference to the immigrants who came from France in the 11th and 12th centuries. An image of the Virgin was discovered in 1434 and a chapel was built to guard it. The Virgin of La Peña de Francia became famous and much worshipped. Some years later, the sanctuary came into the hands of the Dominican monks, who built the church, the convent and the hospice, in the 15th century, which was to provide shelter for the pilgrims. The image of the Virgin, carved in 1890, is located on the highest rock on the mountain and presides over the altar. Currently a guesthouse. At the monastery and shrine, only the following may be visited: the chapels, the cloister, and an area adapted for photography exhibitions..