This street, which begins at the church of Santos Niños, was conceived as a major artery in the 12th century. As it was then, it is now still a busy commercial area. Along the street we see porches that are supported by 19th-century pillars. The houses in the main street (Calle Mayor) used to be two storeys high. The ground floor was occupied by businesses, while the top storeys were private homes. After the urban planning reform of 1848, the buildings became taller, and more uniform. The Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Birthplace Museum is at Number 48 of this street.