San Lorenzo el Real is the oldest Romanesque-Mudéjar church in the city of Toro, and the interior contains several unexpected treasures.
The layout is the traditional one for Romanesque-Mudéjar churches in the milieu of Toro: one nave with a semicircular apse (polygonal outside) preceded by a straight-sided presbytery. It has a collar roof. The double blocked brick arcades, with single or double semicircular arches, run around the whole of the outside perimeter of the church in variety of combinations. Of the three façades, the south is the most interesting, and has six pointed splayed archivolts. The classic corner friezes and the gable with modillions on the doorways are another two traditional elements of the Romanesque-Mudéjar style. Highlights of the interior include the 15th-century Gothic chapel, the altarpiece by Fernando Gállego (c. 1490) and the late Gothic tomb (late 15th century) of Pedro of Castile and Beatriz de Fonseca.