Cycling along the Green Gold Trail (Andalusia)
A journey through Andalusia, cycling in the shadow of the peaks of the Sierras Subbéticas mountain ranges and the world’s biggest olive grove, to discover beautiful towns and villages steeped in history, until you reach Córdoba.
This route runs through a landscape of surprising contrasts, among the serrated peaks of the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park and the orderly grid of the largest olive grove in the world. This area produces the olives that make Spain the leading producer and exporter of olive oil in the world. This liquid green gold forms the basis of the healthy Mediterranean diet, a diet which has been recognized by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity and can be sampled throughout this trip. The olive tree dominates the landscape, the culture, the economy, and the art of this region.
The route, with bicycle rides of between 20 and 30 km, follows an easy greenway built on the old rail bed of the Olive Oil Train, now developed for hikers and cyclists.
Added to the appeal of cycling through the countryside is the chance to visit towns and villages chosen for their history and beauty, with mansions and mediaeval castles, maze-like streets, and whitewashed facades adorned with flowers. Among these towns and villages are Martos, Alcaudete, Doña Mencía, Lucena, and Zuheros and... Cordoba!
This route opens up a part of Andalusia which is unknown for most travellers, with magnificent traces of its ancient history and examples of the traditions of its inhabitants surviving to this day. Not to mention the endless landscape of olive trees whose fruit, the olive, and whose juice, olive oil, will be on the table and in the dishes of the meals you will be enjoying during the trip.
- 7 nights (2 in Cordoba, 1 in Jaen) in a double room with breakfast. 5 dinners
- Cycle rental with self-guided tour
- Transfer of luggage between each day’s ride
- Transfer to Cordoba
- Guided visits: Castle of Alcaudete, Cave of Bats, Lucena
- Price: €629 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English
Torre del Campo (Jaén)
Puente Genil (Cordoba)
Doña Mencía (Cordoba)
- Duration: 8 Day
- Date available from: 01/11/2017
- Date available to: 31/01/2020
- Additional information: Any day of the year, although July and August may be too hot.
- Category of the activity: Sport and adventure. Cycle touring. Gastronomy. Olive oil tasting sessions
- Who is it for?: LGBT. Senior. Adults without children. Families. Young people
- Organising company: VIVEBIKE
Doña Mencía, beautiful village
Viaduct. Olive Oil Greenway
Subbéticas Natural Park
Lucena, Old Rail Station
Viaduct. Olive Oil Greenway
Other activities you may find interesting
€210 per person (including taxes)
THE EXPERIENCE: Power your hit to the ball and he ... (+查看更多内容)