Montserrat is a Benedictine monastery, a natural park and a shrine to spirituality and Catalan culture. Discover it in the most relaxed way at your own pace with the TransMontserrat card.
The train that will take you to Monistrol de Montserrat, at the foot of the mountain, leaves from plaça Espanya which is served by the metro network. Once you reach the foothills of Montserrat you decide if you want to get to the top on the rack railway, the Cremallera, which opened in the 19th century and has recently been refurbished, or by the cable car, the Aeri, which scales gradients of up to 45%. In both cases, you'll enjoy a journey with spectacular panoramic views until you get to Montserrat.
When you arrive at Montserrat, you'll be able to visit the audiovisual exhibit "Montserrat behind closed doors". It takes you on a virtual tour of the monastery where you'll find out about the everyday life of a community of the Benedictine Order. Inside the basilica you'll find the Black Madonna, or "Moreneta", affectionately named because of the dark colour of her skin.
You'll be able to extend your trip with a ride on the Sant Joan funicular, to see how far the horizon stretches from the Pyrenees to the sea, or the Santa Cova funicular, which will take you to the grotto where the "Moreneta" is believed to have been found.
What does your booking include?:
- Return metro ticket from plaça Espanya.
- Return train ticket from Barcelona to Monistrol de Montserrat.
- Return ticket on the Cremallera or Aeri to Montserrat.
- Unlimited use of the Sant Joan and Santa Cova funiculars.
- Entrance to the audiovisual exhibit "Montserrat behind closed doors".
- Price: €31.8 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English
- Duration: 1 Day
- Date available from: 07/07/2017
- Date available to: 31/12/2030
- Category of the activity: Circuits and visits. The great outdoors. In the city
- Who is it for?: Senior. Adults without children. Families. Young people
- Organising company: Turisme de Barcelona