Barnacles from the North Coast of Galicia
This crustacean, which for many is the king of all seafood, grows on the rocky coast that is battered by the open sea. Its unmistakable sea flavour and high quality make the barnacle from Galicia a very prestigious product.
The barnacle from Galicia is distinct because of its pearly hook, its thickness and because it is sold fresh and still stuck to the hard rock, unlike the Moroccan barnacle that sticks to sandy rock. The best barnacles are those of a proportionate size, thick, neither long, nor short. They are the so-called 'sun' barnacles. The 'shade' barnacles, which grow on the rocks below the sea are shorter and not as highly prized. They are cooked simply in salted water or sea water, drained and served war or cold.
- 産品の種類: Seafood
- シーズン: Sales are highest during the Christmas season.
- 産地: Costa da Morte and North Coast of Galicia. The barnacles from the villages of Carme and Cedeira in La Coruña are famous. The properties of temperature, salinity and density of the sea water, as well as the wealth of nutrients, influence proper growth of this crustacean.
- お勧めの飲み物: White and sparkling wines.
- 購入場所: Barnacles from Galicia are available in most fish markets in Galicia, as well as in select establishments in Madrid, Barcelona or Bilbao, among others.
- Energy: Low
- Cholesterol: Low
- 注意: Rich in calcium and iodine.