Route of the Cares
12 kilometers of route with incredible views. We leave the town of Cain (Leon province) and finish the route in the town of Poncebos (province of Asturias). We will always follow the Cares River, which gives its name to this route.
Excavated in the mountain several years ago for the hydraulic use of its waters, this route has become a phenomenon and attractive for lovers of the mountain. With an acceptable slope, you can do this mountain route in about 4 hours.
It was a path of pastoral use until 1916, when it began to delimit a path so that the operators of the company Electra de Viesgo could control and monitor the water channel. Part of this flow was used in the Carmameña Power Station. At that time it took time to make the journey between the two villages around seven hours.
Later it was used by farmers and merchants to transfer their products to the markets of Cabrales until in the 50s the current route was built based on peaks and dynamite. A path that has been improved in recent years to preserve the safety of walkers.
The departure is done in the morning from Cangas de Onis, from where it goes in vehicles to Cain to start the route and the time of return is estimated at 18:00 h again to Cangas de Onis.
- Price: €40 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English
Cangas de Onís (Asturias)
- Duration: 6 Hours
- Date available from: 01/03/2017
- Date available to: 31/08/2021
- Category of the activity: Circuits and visits. The great outdoors. Nature. Hiking
- Who is it for?: LGBT. Senior. Adults without children. Families. Young people
- Organising company: Zenit Experiencias
Picos de Europa
Other activities you may find interesting
€70 per person (including taxes)
2 nights with breakfast in double room with views of ... (+詳細)