Birding tour in Extremadura
Day 1: Madrid airport-Extremadura birding tour
Welcome to Madrid airport before we head to Extremadura. During transfer we may see our first vultures, eagles and kites.
Day 2. Monfragüe National Park “Raptors day”
Today, we will start our extremadura birding tour in the National Park of Monfragüe. During the morning, we will stop in some specific places to see top raptor species such as Spanish Imperial Eagle, Egyptian Vulture, Black Vulture, Bonelli’s Eagle, Black Kite, etc. Monfragüe is home to the biggest colony of Black Vultures (300 pairs) and Spanish Imperial Eagles (12 pairs) in the entire world. There are also more than 30 pairs of Black Storks and nearly 600 pairs of Griffon Vultures.
We will have our picnic just in the middle of the “dehesa”, a good time to see family groups of Azure-winged Magpie. In addition, we should see Crested Lark, Corn Bunting, Woodchat and Iberian Grey Shrike and Rock Bunting.
Once we have had lunch, we will visit different points to see Black Stork, Subalpine Warbler, Red Kite, Blue Rock Thrush, etc.
Day 3. Arrocampo
The itinerary for today takes us to the Arrocampo Biosphere Reserve. During the route we will stop in forested areas where Azure-Winged Magpie, Iberian Grey and Woodchat Shrike, Bee-eaters and several warblers are found. After having lunch in Arrocampo we will enjoy with the different species of waders, Egrets and Herons. Before we go back to the hotel, we will have a look to a Lesser-Kestrel colony.
Day 4. Los Llanos
We will head towards the steppes of “Los Llanos” home of Great and Little Bustard, Montagu’s and Hen Harrier, Little Owl, Calandra and Short-Toed Lark, Spanish Sparrow and Black-bellied and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse.
Day 5.Extremadura-Madrid airport
Time to pack up our luggage and head back to Madrid airport after this memorable Extremadura birding tour through the best raptor and steppe spots in Europe.
- Price: €1,050 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English
- Duration: 5 Day
- Date available from: 20/10/2015
- Date available to: 31/12/2037
- Additional information: Price for a group of 4 people. Smaller or bigger groups, please ask.
- Category of the activity: Circuits and visits. The great outdoors. Nature. Observing nature and wildlife. Ecotourism
- Who is it for?: LGBT. Senior. Adults without children. Families. Young people
- Organising company: Birdwatching Spain
Spanish Imperial Eagle