Northern Route stage 18: Bustio (Ribadedeba) - Piñeres (Llanes)
Playa de Torimbia
This stage passes through...
Bustio, Colombres, La Franca, El Campu, Santiuste, Pendueles, Vidiago, Puertas de Vidiago, La Venta'l Pumar, San Roque de Acebal, Llanes, El Valle, Amelladeru, Villahormes, La Venta, Nueva de LLanes, Piñeres
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- Northern Route
- 37,8 km
- Mode of transport
- 9,45. Bicycle
- Main difficulties
- The stretch out of Colombretes on the N-634 road to La Franca has very dense traffic. It is advisable to go in single file. The route rejoins the N-634 at kilometre 287.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- This stage has rivers, beaches, cliffs, both green and chalky coastline, with the Sierra del Cuera mountains nearby. Interesting features include the blowholes (holes perforated by the sea into the coastal rocks). The holm oak woods are definitely the best preserved and most representative forest species. The predominantly halophilic vegetation is found on the cliffs. The most interesting group of vertebrates in this area is comprised by birds. It is also possible to see some typical mountain birds such as the wall-creeper, particularly in winter. The local farmland produces mostly vegetables and ornamental plants.
- Craft products
- There are a variety of traditionally-made cheeses.
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- Gastronomic specialities include the pote de berzas (a hearty cabbage soup) from Ribadedeva, pote llanisco (thick soup with smoked pork), the boroña preñada (meat pie) and tortos (corn fritters) This area is also famous for its cheeses, such as the Beyos, Cabrales, Gamonéu, and Vidiago varieties.
- Rest areas
- Vilde recreational area (Ribadedeva): right at the start of the Astuirian part of the route. Small and secluded, it is 1 km from Bustio on the way out of Vilde towards La Haya, Andinas and Villanueva, and beside the Deva river. It has a car park, and there are restaurants and bars nearby. There are tables with benches (with no shade), and a children's play area. It has public lighting. Colombres recreational area (Ribadedeva): this is just at the entrance to Colombres, near the football ground. It has tables and benches, a litter bin and a water fountain which appears to perform a merely decorative function. Tieves recreational area (Llanes): it is inside the town of Llanes, and has a path about 300 metres long which leads towards the town's water deposits. There are barbecues, areas of shade, litter bins and benches.