French Route stage 08: Logroño - Nájera
This stage passes through...
Logroño, Parque de la grajera, Navarete, Ventosa, Alesón, Nájera
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- French Route
- 26,50 km
- Mode of transport
- 7,15. Horseback
- 3,30. Bicycle
- 5,25. Walking
- Main difficulties
- The most strenuous climb is to the top of San Antón. The first 500 metres are hard, but on a well-maintained path, with about 200 metres at the end on a more difficult stony trail.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- Highlights of the local vegetation are particularly the willows in the La Grajera Park. Typical wetland fauna in the La Grajera Park include the marsh harrier, coot, mallard, heron, red shoveler and grebe. This part of the Way of Saint James passes through vineyards on either side.
- Craft products
- Traditional wine skins (Logroño), balls used in the typical game of pelota (Logroño), and pottery (Navarrete).
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- Typical products include Rioja wine, pinchos (typical gourmet canapés) in the Calle Laurel (Logroño), buns stuffed with chorizo (Navarrete), red kidney beans (Nájera), trout (Najerilla), pears or peaches in wine, zurracapote (a drink made with wine, fruit and cinnamon) and realejos (typical cakes) from Nájera.
- Rest areas
- La Grajera rest area: shade, litter bins, tables and benches.