Penitents during Easter in Almería
Procession in Almería
- When?: From Apr 5, 2019 to Apr 12, 2019
- Where: Almería
- More information : http://www.andalucia.org/es/semana-santa/semana-santa-en-almeria/
- Category: Festivity of National Tourist Interest
Over 20 lay brotherhoods take part in the traditional Easter processions of this Andalusian city, commemorating the Passion, death and resurrection of Christ.
More than 15,000 lay brothers and sisters transform the city from the day before Palm Sunday, known as Passion Saturday, to Easter Sunday. Almería becomes a solemn and moving scene as the processions carry or push their "pasos", processional sculptures which are works of art as well as religious images, and the "saeteros" sing their flamenco-tinged couplets. There are several particularly interesting moments during this event. For example, the night-time Stations of the Cross of the Hermandad Juvenil del Santo Cristo del Perdón, or the famous “Meeting” which takes place every Easter Thursday when the processions of María Santísima de la Amargura and Jesús Nazareno meet on Plaza Emilio Pérez.
- Date: From Apr 5, 2019 to Apr 12, 2019
Schedules and prices
- From Apr 5, 2019 to Apr 12, 2019
* Information may be subject to modifications