Belmonte Castle Tour & Trebuchet Park
The Marquis of Villena, Don Juan Pacheco, ordered it built in Mudejar Gothic style in 1456. He was trusted man of King Henry IV of Castile, and the most powerful lord in the kingdom at the time.
The star-shaped layout of the castle is one-of-a-kind, and its palatial interior decorated with luxurious Mudejar roofs in the halls and galleries, as well as the "medieval bestiary" sculpted in stone, are nonpareil in Spain. All this undeniably makes for one of the most emblematic castles in our country.
The Castle has been perfectly preserved thanks to the efforts of its owners over the centuries, completed with the latest restoration. On this occasion, the Ducal House of Peñaranda and Montijo, descendants of the Marquis of Villena and owners of the Castle, have been supported by public institutions.
The Castle of Belmonte reopened its doors to the public in July 2010, offering the visitor a cultural tour throughout the history of this emblematic monument, all the way from the 15th century to the present. The cultural tour provides an audio guide in 4 languages (Spanish, English, French and Italian), an audio-visual room with a large-screen 12-minute projection as an introduction to the tour, and light and sound technology that make visitors travel to a different time.
Moreover, since August 2018, the largest historic-thematic park with real-scale siege machines in the world, Trebuchet Park, has been located at the foot of the fortress.
Throughout the tour, visitors can observe 40 siege machines in four different thematic areas: the Christian world, the Muslim world, the Eastern world and the Renaissance. Regarding the timeline, the artefacts in the first three spaces are from the 5th and 14th centuries, and the Renaissance area set in the 15th–16th century.
All of the machines have been tested and they work just as they did at the time, reconstructed with the same period materials. Historically rigorous, they used available documentation
- Price: €12 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English.French.Italian
- Duration: 5 Hours
- Date available from: 28/01/2019
- Date available to: 31/01/2020
- Additional information: These rates are valid except the following days: - Historical reenacting 23-24 de Mars - Easter 18-19-20-21 de April - Banks Holidays 1 de May - Banks Holidays 31 de May - Historical Reenacting 1-2 de June - Banks Holidays 20 de June - All the month August - Medieval Tournament 22-23 de September - Banks Holidays 12-13 de October - Banks Holidays 1-2-3 de November - Banks Holidays 6-7-8 de December
- Category of the activity: Circuits and visits
- Who is it for?: LGBT. Senior. Adults without children. Families. Young people
- Organising company: CASTILLO DE BELMONTE
Information supplied by the provider
Other activities you may find interesting
€105 per person (including taxes)
From Cottage Antonio, with up to 6 people, it has 3 ... (+See more)