Reineta apples from El Bierzo
Hvor i Spanien er det typisk?
- Selvstyrende region: Castile-Leon
The Reineta apples from El Bierzo are known for their delicious flavour and excellent quality, and are one of the references for fruit in Castile-Leon.
The Reineta apple is grown in several regions on the Iberian Peninsula, but the topological and climatic conditions in the El Bierzo region of Leon are especially favourable for the production of a high quality apple. It has a proper balance between acid and a high sugar content, making it a highly valued variety of apple. Since January 2002 it has been considered a Protected Denomination of Origin product by the European Union. Its appearance is squatty, wider than it is tall, with a short petiole, and it is usually a large fruit. Its colour is pale green, not shiny, with a characteristic rust over much of the skin surface. It is consistent to the touch and not very grainy, and it may be consumed both fresh and baked.
Oplysninger om produkt
- Type produkt: Fruit
- Sæson: The best season for consumption is between the months of September and November.
- Oprindelse: The production, preparation and packaging area is the Region of El Bierzo, in the north-west part of the province of Leon. It is an area surrounded by a mountainous belt with topological and climatic characteristics that make it ideal for producing high quality apples with a perfect balance between sweet and sour.
- Anbefalede drikkevarer: The Apple, baked or as a dessert, is delicious with sweet dessert wines and sparkling wines.
- Opskrifter: Red wine compote
- Slags: The apples protected by the Reineta Apple from El Bierzo Denomination of Origin are the 'white reineta' (the most consumed) and 'grey or brown reineta' (lighter in taste) varieties.
- Energy: Low
- Bemærkninger: Rich in fibre.