Rice from the Region of Valencia
Archivo Paradores de Turismo
Från vilket område i Spanien är det typiskt?
- Autonom region:
Rice from Valencia is very famous and traditional in our country. It is undoubtedly the most highly valued by consumers and it is also an ingredient in a long list of typical Mediterranean recipes. Paella is one of the most well known dishes world-wide.
A cereal of Asian origins, cultivation was introduced to our country in the 8th century by the Arabs. Since then, the Albufera Region of Valencia has been one of the primary production areas of Spain. Noteworthy characteristics of this rice include its short size and the consistency of the grain, as well as its uniformity when cooked. It also has a high percentage of pearl. What is known as 'rice pearl' is actually a concentration of starch, which gives it an unmistakable white colour. The protected varieties are Bahia, Senia and Bomba only. These varieties are adapted to the climatic characteristics of the region. On the market it is packed in 10, 5, 2, 1 or 0.5 kilo boxes or bags. The packages must display a numbered label issued by the Control Board.
Information om produkten
- Typ av produkt:
- It is harvested during the first months of summer and is consumed year-round.
- The production area covers the land located in the towns around the Albufera Nature Park, in the province of Valencia. Among others, notable towns include Beniparrell, La Alcudia, Oliva, Pego or Sagunto.
- Rekommenderad dryck:
- It depends on the ingredients with which it is prepared.
- Var kan den köpas:
- Rice from Valencia is available in most speciality shops in Valencia, as well as in many speciality shops on the Iberian Peninsula.
- There are only two varieties that are protected: White, which is sold under the Extra category, and Whole Grain Rice, which is sold with its pericarp, giving it the characteristic dark colour.
Information om näringsvärdet
- Rich in Carbohydrates.