The fortress-temple of the south.
This is the first temple in Almeria designed for use as a fortress-temple. It is built in a predominantly Gothic style, and was originally intended to defend the town against attacks by pirates.
It has battlements and arrow loops for defence. The style is transitional Gothic, and its design is attributed to Diego de Siloé. It has a polygonal apse and a Baroque tower. The naves on the interior are in the Gothic style with side chapels which contain altarpieces of great beauty. The altarpiece at the high altar is Baroque and is decorated with paintings and sculptures of a very high quality. There is also a Renaissance cloister, which was previously the old parade ground of the fortress.
- Byggnad: Cathedral
- Konsthistorisk period: Renaissance
- Historisk period: 16th century
- Miljö: Church of San Juan, Church of San Pedro, Convent of Santa Clara, the Alcazaba castle, city walls, archaeological museum and the Alcazaba museum.
- Från Måndag till Fredag Från 10:00 till 13:30 Från 16:00 till 17:00
- Lördag Från 10:00 till 13:30
- Ordinarie: 5€
- Grupper: 3€
Guided tours, Shop