Cathedral of El Salvador
The Gothic church of Orihuela
Orihuela has had a cathedral since 1564, when the city was granted its bishopric.
El Salvador Cathedral is Orihuela’s most important parish church. It was built on the site of the Aljama Mosque in the first third of the 14th century. It is in Gothic style and was made a cathedral in 1564 when the city was granted its bishopric. It has a Latin cross floor plan and three access doors: Las Cadenas and Loreto, which are Gothic, and La Anunciación, in Renaissance style. The Museum of Religious Art is also in the cathedral. It is home to major works, including “The Temptation of Saint Thomas” by Velázquez.
- Byggnad: Cathedral
- Konsthistorisk period: Gothic
- Historisk period: 14th century
- Miljö: Miguel Hernández House, Santas Justa y Rufina Church, Santiago Church.
- Från Tisdag till Fredag Från 10:30 till 14:00 Från 16:00 till 18:30
- Lördag Från 10:30 till 14:00
- Ordinarie: 2€