Northern Route stage 02: Donostia/San Sebastián - Zarautz
Ten etap przebiega przez...
Donostia/San Sebastián, Igeldo, Orio, Zarautz
- Szlak należy do:
- The Way of Saint James
- Nazwa odcinka:
- Northern Route
- 22,80 Km
- Sposób przemieszczania się
- Główne trudności
- The route goes from sea level at the Ondarreta beach up to a height of 325 metres at the Venta de Orio. The steepest slope is on the way up to Igeldo, as the difference between the two points is 12 kilometres. After an abrupt descent down the cobbled streets of the San Nicolás district, pilgrims come out at the bridge over the N-634, and continue along this road until a local road which crosses the A-8 viaduct.
- Fauna, flora i uprawy
- All along the route pilgrims can see species of wild and marine flora, as the path follows the line of the cliffs. The most common trees are the strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo) with its typical red fruits, the Monterey and maritime pine, eucalyptus and oak, a species which previously covered most of the Basque Country. The grape varieties grown on the sides of the coastal mountain range are protected from the NW winds and are what give Txakoli wine its distinctive features. This is a clean young white wine, with a fruity, flowery bouquet which should be drunk within the year.
- The work of craftsmen is closely linked to the peoples and culture of Euskadi. It honours the ancestral customs and ways of life and opens channels to welcome new ideas. www.ereintza.com www.gabiltza.org
- Wyroby gastronomiczne i cukiernicze
- The vegetable gardens in the towns and villages compete to bring their freshest produce to the local kitchens. Broad beans, tender peas, spring onions, tomatoes… these are the stars of the local gastronomy, together with the pantxineta (typical confectionery) for special occasions.