Church of Santa María del Mar
An example of Catalonian Gothic
It is one of the best examples of 14th century Catalonian Gothic architecture. It is the work of the architect Berenguer de Montagut and was the temple of the shipowners and merchants in Gothic Barcelona. Seen from the outside, its appearance is solid and robust, dominated by straight lines. The inside consists of three naves, an ambulatory and is without a transept. The amazing height of the central nave with its majestic octagonal columns stands out. From the 4th to the 6th century there used to be a Roman necropolis, which was discovered during the excavations in the sixties, in the place where the church stands today.
- Konstruksjon: Church
- Kunsthistorisk periode: Gothic
- Historisk periode: 14th century
- Omgivelser: Mercat del Born.
- Fra Mandag til Lørdag Fra 09:00 til 13:00 Fra 17:00 til 20:30
- Offentlige fridager og Søndag Fra 10:00 til 14:00 Fra 17:00 til 20:00
- Gratis inngang