Waar is het typisch in Spanje?
- Autonome regio: Basque Country
A tuber originally from South America, it was introduced into Europe in the 16th century. However, it was not generally accepted until almost three hundred years later. Álava has always been and remains the main potato production area in Spain.
Álava's climate and soil conditions are ideal for growing this exceptional quality tuber. In 1993 the Food Quality Label was created, covering Álava potatoes meeting the following requirements: whole, consistent and healthy tubers, free of damp, smell and strange flavours without notable deformations and without green marks. The size of the potatoes must be even, ranging between 5 and 8cm. On the market they appear in recycled paper bags with the Álava Potato logo and the Kalitatea stamp of the Basque Food Quality Label.
- Productsoort: Vegetables
- Seizoen: Basically from September to February.
- Oorsprong: The production area is centred on three very different points in the province of Álava: La Montaña, La Llanada and the Valdegovía area.
- Aanbevolen drankje: Delicious with almost any kind of wine. It depends on the way they are cooked and the ingredients accompanying them.
- Recepten: Potatoes 'a la importancia'
- Variëteiten: The Álava potato varieties allowed under the Regulations for Potatoes with Basque Quality Label are the following: Spuntax, Red Pontiac, Kennebec, Baraka, Monalisa, Jaerla and Nagore.
- Energy: Low
- Cholesterol: 0
- Opmerkingen: Rich in fibre.