In deze website worden cookies gebruikt om de gebruiker de beste ervaring te bieden. Als u doorgaat met het gebruik van deze site, gaan wij er van uit dat u akkoord gaat met het gebruik ervan. Ga voor meer informatie, ook over hoe u de configuratie kunt wijzigen, naar ons beleid ten aanzien van cookies



Lokalisatie

Autonome regio:
Catalonia

Provincie/Eiland:
Girona

Girona

The village of San Juan de las Abadesas is situated on the left side of the Ter river, around an ancient monastery of Benedictine nuns that was founded by Wilfredo "el Velloso" (the Hairy) in the year 885. This monastery was turned into a collegiate church at the end of the 16th century. Among the structures that still remain are the 12th-century Romanesque church, and the 15th-century Gothic cloister. It contains several interesting pieces, such as the series of sculptures depicting the Descent (1251), which are seven polychromatic figures, also known as "Santísimo Misterio" (Holy Mystery), that constitute one of the most remarkable ones made during this period; and the Gothic image and reredos of Santa María la Blanca. Other elements of interest include the abbatial palace and its small Gothic cloister; the Romanesque apse and portico of the old church of Sant Joanipol; the arcaded main square, or Plaza Mayor; the remains of the wall; and the Old bridge (puente Viejo), a Gothic structure that crosses the Ter river, parallel to the new bridge.




Niet te missen



Kaart/lokalisatie