In deze website worden cookies gebruikt om de gebruiker de beste ervaring te bieden. Als u doorgaat met het gebruik van deze site, gaan wij er van uit dat u akkoord gaat met het gebruik ervan. Ga voor meer informatie, ook over hoe u de configuratie kunt wijzigen, naar ons beleid ten aanzien van cookies




Contactgegevens

Plaza de la Peregrina, s/n
36003  Pontevedra  (Galicia)
http://www.visit-pontevedra.com
Tel.:+34 986850814

Lokalisatie

Autonome regio:
Galicia

Provincie/Eiland:
Pontevedra

Pontevedra

Beschrijving

This church's dedication to the cult of the Virgin, as well as its unusual design in the shape of a scallop shell, indicate that it was intended for use by pilgrims on the road to Santiago.

It is located beside the Gothic church of the old convent of San Francisco, on the Portuguese section of the Way of Saint James. Built between 1778 and 1832 according to plans by Antonio de Souto and Bernardo José de Mier –typical of the late Baroque with early neoclassical elements–, its greatest originality lies in its floor plan in the shape of a scallop shell and its convex façade flanked by two towers. The nave itself, culminating in the sacristy, is in the form of a cross.
It is preceded by an atrium with a stairway and a pinnacled balustrade presided by carved image (19th century) of the Virgin of La Peregrina, the patron saint of the city and province of Pontevedra. The main altarpiece in the neoclassical style was created by Melchor de Prado in 1789.

Bouw:
Church

Artistieke periode:
Baroque

Praktische informatie

Openingstijden


All year round during hours of worship


Prijzen

Entrada gratuita

Kaart


Hier dichtbij