Church of San Martín de Frómista
The purity of the Spanish Romanesque.
This is one of the purest examples of Spanish Romanesque. It was built by Doña Mayor, the widow of Sancho Mayor, King of Navarre, and has been the spiritual resting place of the pilgrims on the road to Santiago.
The building features three naves, all with barrel vaults and rib arches. There are three circular apses in the sanctuary, and the transept has a polygonal dome. The capitals of the columns are exceptionally lovely and are profusely decorated with vegetation and iconographic motifs. The two circular towers flanking the entrance door on the facade are a new development reminiscent of the German style. Inside, a Crucified Christ of exceptional value is conserved.
- Bouw: Church
- Artistieke periode: Romanesque
- Historische periode: 11th century
- Omgeving: Santa María del Castillo Church, San Pedro Church.
- Vanaf 02 okt tot 31 mrt
- Van Maandag tot Zondag Van 10:00 tot 14:00 Van 15:30 tot 18:30
- Vanaf 01 apr tot 01 okt
- Van Maandag tot Zondag Van 09:30 tot 14:00 Van 16:30 tot 20:00
Joint visit with the Church of San Pedro.
- Algemeen: 1,50€
- Met korting: 1€
Admission free for pilgrims on Wednesdays