Convent of La Merced
Christopher Columbus's residence.
Christopher Columbus stayed in this convent whilst he was waiting to be seen by the Catholic Monarchs. Its main Baroque altarpiece was destroyed by a fire.
It was founded in the 13th century and redesigned in the 18th century. The main front is blessed with a Cordovan-Baroque style. It has two courtyards; the one outside is Baroque while the one inside is Renaissance. The church was partially destroyed during a fire and faithfully restored after the event. Some of its major works include paintings by Cobo de Guzmán and a Christ from the 14th century. A Visigoth baptismal font from an older church was discovered on the same site. Diputación Provincial (Provincial Council) Palace.
- Bouw: Convent
- Artistieke periode: Baroque
- Historische periode: 18th century, 13th century
- Omgeving: Santa Isabel Convent, Jesús Crucificado Convent, General Hospital.
- Van Maandag tot Donderdag Van 10:00 tot 14:00
- Vrijdag Van 10:00 tot 14:00 Van 17:00 tot 18:30
- Entree gratis